Educate zoo visitors about conservation and wildlife, while gaining experience in teaching, leadership, and public speaking.
WHY BECOME A DISCOVERY GUIDE?
- Make a difference by helping WCS and the Queens Zoo educate visitors about our conservation efforts both in NYC and globally
- Inspire visitors to value nature & wildlife and become conservation advocates
- Meet like-minded volunteers and make new friends
- Increase your knowledge about science, wildlife, and conservation
- Develop and improve your teaching, science communication, customer service, and public speaking skills
- Gain work experience and build your resume
WHO CAN BECOME A DISCOVERY GUIDE?
Discovery Guide positions at the Queens Zoo are open to high school and college-aged youth.
WHAT ARE THE RESPONSIBILITIES OF A DISCOVERY GUIDE?
As a Discovery Guide, you will educate visitors about the animals in our zoos and how we care for them through fun and engaging activities. You will also share stories about our conservation programs and inspire children and adults to take actions that benefit wildlife and the environment. You may also assist with a variety of education programs.
WHAT ARE THE PERKS?
- Become a part of the WCS Youth Network and learn about additional opportunities at WCS and beyond
- Grow and learn at WCS through optional professional development workshops
- Earn school community service hours (check with school first)
- Receive a discount on food and retail items at the WCS parks
- Receive complimentary admission for yourself to all 5 WCS Parks (Bronx Zoo, Central Park Zoo, Queens Zoo, Prospect Park Zoo, and New York Aquarium) while you are volunteering
If you have additional questions, you may also refer to the Discovery Guide FAQ
TAKE THE NEXT STEP
CLICK HERE TO LEARN MORE OR TO APPLY
For additional questions, email email@example.com. Thank you for your interest!